Three Bean Night-time Veggie Pot For Hungry Fellers of an Intoxicated and Possibly Rowdy Nature:
Prep: 5 mins.
Cooking: 10 mins, if that. Re-heat in the pan or in the microwave.
Serves: AMAR – see text
Rating: 1: Pi**ed-as-a-fart-Easy (when not too pi**ed, that is……)
This is an ideal quick veggie feast that is ideal for a bunch o’hungry boys after a night out on the tiles. It is nice to have this ready-made before you go out.
Don’t leave it cooking though; make sure that the cooker is off whilst you are out otherwise you’ll either return to a house full of smoke – or no house.
For 3, 4, 5 or 6 fellers, depending on the ravenousnousnous (a technical term for degree of extreme hunger suffered by bunches of fairly intoxicated blokes returning from the boozer, avoiding the kebab shop) of your friends:
- 1 Tin red kidney beans (or mixed bean salad, or barlotti beans, or…)
- 1 Tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tin butter beans
- 1 Tin baked beans
- Got any left-over cheese?
- Chilli flakes or chilli powder (don’t overdo it now……..)
- Possibly a little paprika if you have it, for flavour not heat
- Salt to taste
- Saucepan – probably fairly large… go borrow a big one….
- Put the red kidney beans into a colander and rinse thoroughly under the cold tap.
Tinned/canned red kidney beans really do need this very thorough rinsing stage otherwise they’ll be horrible. Ugh.
- Put them into the saucepan. Put the chopped tomatoes in there too. Put the saucepan on the heat.
- Add the baked beans.
- Rinse the butter beans as you did with the red kidneys. Put them in.
- Bring up to the boil.
- Add chilli flakes or powder. I prefer the flakes as the effect can be tasted quite quickly. Powder can sometimes fail to dissolve properly and can distribute unevenly, leaving super-hot pockets.
- Pop any cheese in that you have left over from….. but try to take the green furry bits off first (not that any bugger’ll notice if you don’t).
- Give the saucepan a good stir, leave for 5 minutes and then taste. If more is needed, repeat.
- Add a little sprinkling of paprika for taste, too. Give a good mix and turn the heat out.
- Leave for your return with the fellers, when you can heat it up again (it’s always better second time that it’s heated – possibly in the pot; possibly in the microwave).
- Serve either on toast or just plopped in a dish – most probably with a tinny or two.
- Leave the messed-up carpet until the morning, and then get a carpet cleaning machine in – and someone quiet to use it. Preferably someone quite attractive………