Baked garlic aioli (and just simply ‘Baked Garlic’ !)
For the baked garlic on its own……
- 2 large head/bulb of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the aioli
- The baked garlic above
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 4 tbsp cider vinegar
- 150ml olive oil
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp capers
- 3 tbsp milk
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°C/gas 6.
- Cut each bulb of garlic into two, straight across all the cloves half way up.
- Place both halves on a baking sheet and brush with a little oil.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until soft and golden.
- You can serve the garlic as it is, and let peeps squeeze it out themselves, spreading it on their food as they wish. Alternatively, you can make aioli with it…..
- Squeeze the soft garlic from the bulbs (best let it cool first, or you’ll end up in A&E with finger burns) into a bowl or straight into the food processor.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites (see ‘Tricks’n’Tips’)
- Put the garlic, egg yolks and breadcrumbs, salt and pepper and vinegar into a food processor and whiz briefly until it forms a paste.
- Keeping the motor running, slowly add the oils until the mixture forms a thick emulsion.
- Add milk to give it a slightly lighter consistency if necessary.
- Enjoy it!