In France at the moment, I’m on Galley Slave duties as we have a very good friend staying with us for a while, and she’s veggie. Just doesn’t like meat. Fair enough; that’s fine with me. I wanted to give us all a nice veggie lunch and so decided on a simple veggie pasta.
Ok. Bung a few veg in a pot, an onion and a couple of cans of chopped tomatoes….. Nah!
I don’t do that sort of thing, so this is what got dun:
For 3, 4 or 5 people, depending on hunger pangs, find:
- 1 courgette (Cut into quarters lengthways, then sliced across)
- 2 carrots (I used a mandolin and cut some into tiny matchsticks, and some into thin wide ribbons, just for a bot o’fun)
- A dozen large French beans (Cut into 1cm long bits)
- 1/4 of an aubergine (Cuta sa the courgette….. I’m saving the other 3/4 for tonight’s trout!)
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 a red pepper
- 1/2 a yellow pepper (both peppery halves should just be cut into 1/2 CM squares….. (er…. ahem…..don’t actually measure them, silly…… just cut ’em small…… I can see I’m gonna have trouble with you…… stop being pedantic!)
- 3 cloves garlic (big ‘uns – put into a food processor with the ginger root and blitzed)
- A a big man’s thumb-sized piece of ginger root
- 8 large tomatoes (some that were salad toms that were too soft, some that were lovely, solid plum tomatoes – skillfully skinned [See Tricks’n’Tips for method] and each tom chopped into about 8 bits
- Tomato puree
- Some sun-dried tomatoes that were lurking at the back of the cupboard somewhere, chopped.
- Parmesan, freshly grated…. as finely as possible.
- Oh yes…..and some pasta. Your choice.
- A large frying pan (preferably with a nice glass lid, like mine…. but any will do….. but it won’t be as posh as mine….. Unless your name is Anna of course!)
- A large saucepan for the pasta
- Boil the shredded/ribboned carrots & French beans for 5 mins, drain the water into the pasta pan (don’t waste taste) and put aside for now.
- Fry the aubergine, courgette, onion, peppers in a hint of oil just to et ’em going. Don’t burn ’em. After 10 mins, just put a splash of water in the pan and put the lid on (or a plate….. same effect) and turn up the heat.
- Add the chopped toms, garlic & ginger, sun-dried wotsits and tom puree. Stir. Lid on.
- Turn the pan down to the lowest heat possible and let it sit there for a while…… (30 mins or so, yes?)
- Boil the pasta for 10 mins and drain almost all of the water away.
- Tip the pasta (of whatever nature) into the frying pan with the mixture and blend it all together (no, silly, not in the blender…..that’d give you soup!)
- Pop it onto plates orinto bowls, add the parmesan and scoff!