Photo: Chris Wiles Photgraphy
Lime & Ginger Posset with a warm blueberry topping:
Another incredible dessert. Again, not too difficult to make, certainly very impressive to see and absolutely gorgeous to consume.
Prep: 20 mins.
Cooking: 10 mins.
Rating: 3: Moderate – but so much worth doing – and a bit more!
NOTE: This is rich pud, so don’t make the servings too large. If they want more, they can just have another one!
- 1 pt double cream
- 5 oz caster sugar
- 2-3 balls of stem ginger – grated
- Zest and juice of 4 limes (you need 4 fl oz of juice)
- Handful of blueberries
- Drizzle of juice from stem ginger jar
- A non-stick saucepan & wooden spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Hand balloon whisk
- Lemon juicer (I know that they are limes – but you still use a lemon juicer….. even for oranges!)
- Grate the zest of the limes into a bowl.
- Juice the limes using a normal juicer – see Tricks’n’Tips – and pour the juice into a mug or a bowl ready for use. No pips please; we’re British.
- Mix the cream, lime zest, stem ginger & sugar in the non-stick saucepan. SLOWLY heat over a low to medium heat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously to avoid the cream ‘catching’ on the side of the pan – we don’t want any brown bits floating around in this beautifully pastel-coloured pud.
- Gently boil for 3 mins. Take off heat and pour into a warmed mixing bowl that has been carefully placed on a dampened cloth or piece of kitchen roll to stop it skating about on the kitchen surface. You are not whisking in the pan as it is a non-stick pan and it’s a metal whisk….. you want the pan to stay non-stick!
- Whisk in the lime juice, slowly pouring the juice in as the cream is whisked.
- When all the lime juice is in, pick up the bowl and give the whisking some effort – remember that what you are doing is introducing air to make the pud light and airy.
- Serve in glasses or ramekins. Set overnight in fridge (minimum 3-5 hrs).
- Just before serving, put blueberries & ginger juice in a pan & simmer for a couple of mins until berries have softened.
- Spoon over the cold posset and serve.
YUM & YO!