(Cottage pie is the one that has ‘tiles’ of potato on the roof. It is made with beef mince, not lamb).
Prep: 10 mins.
Cooking: 1 hr.
Rating: 3: Moderate
- Mince mixture as above for Beef Mince’n’Onion Thingymebob
- Potatoes for the topping
- Grated cheese for the topping
- A splash of milk
- Any extra veg as desirable
- Peel the potatoes and slice across to get oval discs about 5mm thick, enough to cover the size of oven dish you plan to use (which is why the amount of spuds is not mentioned above).
- Put them into a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil for a few moments, then drain and put aside.
- Follow the above for the Beef Mince’n’Onion Thingymebob mixture. Add any other veg you would like; there are few rules.
- Pour into the oven dish. Use the discs of potato to assemble a roof for the cottage pie.
- Season the roof with black pepper and salt, sprinkle the grated cheese on top and splash the milk over it all.
- Bake in a medium oven for half an hour.