Prep: 5 mins.
Cooking: 20 mins.
Course: Snack/Lunch/Pre-seduction nibble…..
Rating: 1: Piss-Easy
Got left over rice? Here’s a nice quickie meal or a fantastic ‘come-back-to-my-place-tasty- morsel-before-getting-down-to-it’ late-night snack.
For two people, Find:
- Leftover rice in the fridge
- Clove of garlic
- Frozen peas
- Frozen prawns – aw, come on….., don’t be a cheapskate – a few more than that……
- A small amount of red pepper, if you have it
- Possibly a splash of white wine if you have it, otherwise a splash of water – not red wine nor beer. You could use slightly diluted Pernod/Pastis and water
- Oil & butter
- Frying pan
- Fluff-up the cold rice with a fork so that it’s not in great lumps and just keep it ready. If you don’t have any ready-cooked, just cook some!
- Roughly slice the onion and the red pepper, finely chop the garlic (see Tricks’n’Tips) and gently fry them in the oil to soften, not to colour.
- Add the prawns and the frozen peas – as many as you want of each. Get them heated through before adding the wine or water as they already have an ice element to them that will convert to water.
- Add the butter and, turning the heat up to maximum, the rice. Keep the heat high.
- The rice must be heated through thoroughly, and to quite a high temperature.
- Taste it. Add seasoning to taste – it will take an amount of black pepper.
- Serve it just as it is, or with a crusty buttered roll – ooh, I want some NOW.