Fried Pepper Chicken Pieces:
Prep: 5 mins.
Cooking: 20 mins + .
Rating: 3: Moderate – but you do need to ensure that the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- 4 chicken portions – normally leg quarters
- Seasoning – you could use black/green/red peppercorns cracked in a pestle & mortar
- Frying pan
- Trim the fat and loose skin from the edges and underneath.
- Split the skin between the thigh and what would be the body of the chicken if it was a whole chicken – but of course it’s not – and pour a little oil in the gap.
- Mix a little flour, a good amount of ground black pepper (no, don’t skimp with the pepper….. more than that…. It is pepper chicken after all….) and a little salt in a mug, mix well and turn out onto a plate.
- Roll the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour ensuring that they are fully coated all over – back and front.
- Heat a frying pan, add a little oil and put the chicken in.
- Keep the frying pan on quite a low heat for 20 minutes, turning the chicken over every five, basting it occasionally with the juices from the pan. You can keep an eye on the pan to avoid it burning as you will be doing the veg whilst the chicken is cooking.
- Inspect the chicken to see if there is any evidence of red at all in the joints. If so, cook a little longer – chicken has to be thoroughly cooked through. If in any doubt, pop it into the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes to make sure; you must not serve chicken meat that is still red.
- Serve with chips and a nice light chicken gravy!