Fried Mustard Chicken Pieces:
Prep: 5 mins.
Cooking: 20 mins + .
Rating: 3: Moderate – but you do need to ensure that the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- 4 chicken portions – normally leg quarters
- Whole grain mustard
- Pastry brush if you have one – if not, use a clean finger
- Frying pan
- Trim the fat and loose skin from the edges and underneath.
- Split the skin between the thigh and the body of the chicken and pour a little oil in the gap.
- Mix a little oil and a dollop of whole grain mustard in a mug and paint the skin and the underside of the chicken with the mixture.
- Heat a frying pan, add a little oil and put the chicken in.
- Keep the frying pan on quite a low heat for 20 minutes, turning the chicken over every five, basting it occasionally with the juices from the pan. You can keep an eye on the pan to avoid it burning as you will be doing the veg whilst the chicken is cooking.
- After 20 mins, Inspect the chicken to see if there is any evidence of red at all in the joints. If so, cook a little longer – chicken has to be thoroughly cooked through. If in any doubt, pop it into the microwave for 2 minutes to make sure.
- Serve with mash & veg?