Caramelised Onion & Mushroom Tarts:
Prep: 20 mins.
Cooking: 30 mins.
Course: Veg starter/snack
Serves: Depends how many you can eat!
Rating: 2: Easy
To make 12 rather scrummy tarts, find:
- 1 pack ready-made puff pastry – why bother making it? Life’s too short!
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 3 large onions
- 300g mixed mushrooms –field mushrooms as a base, but also shitake & other tasty ones etc.
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tbsp sugar
- 125ml single cream (250ml for large 8″ tart)
- 1 egg, large (2 eggs for large 8″ tart)
- salt and pepper
Makes 12 mini tarts or 1 x 8″ Tart.
- Grease a 12 hole tart pan.
- Roll the pastry out onto a well-floured surface and cut out circles large enough to line each hole. It would be good to chill these for a while.
- Preheat the oven to 180c Fan/200c/Gas Mark 5.
- Slice then fry the onions until nicely softened. 10 mins?
- Slice then add the mushrooms to the frying pan. Cook until softened.
- Put in the balsamic vinegar, sugar and garlic (crushed or finely chopped) and turn the heat up somewhat.
- Fry until the majority of the vinegar is evaporated and the onions start to caramelise and go sticky. 5 mins? 10?
- Remove from the heat.
- Mix the egg, cream and seasonings together in a large jug.
- Plop a dollop of the mushroom and onion mixture into each case, and then carefully top up the tarts with the cream mixture. It will need time to settle and filter through the mixture – they may need topping up a couple of times. Patience! We don’t want them to overflow or to have retained air.
- Oven bake for 25-30 mins until a lovely golden brown.
- Take them out the oven when puffy’n’brown, allowing them to cool in the tin. They may have splurged a bit so just run a sharp knife around the tops of the tarts to release them from the tops of the tin!
- Scoff! (But leave some for me).