Champignons Farci – Stuffed Mushroom Starter.
A couple of these on a few rocket/watercress leaves…..
Prep: 10 mins.
Cooking: 15-20 mins.
Or if a veggie-type-muggy-fancier, whatever you want.
Serves: 4 for this example
(Half the number of muggies that you use. )
Rating: 2: Easy
- 8 (to feed 4 as a starter) large, open-cap chestnut mushrooms, minimum 5 cm (2 in) diameter. You need twice the number of mushrooms as the number of people to eat ‘em.
- 60 g (2 oz) butter
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 big, fat and juicy garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 courgette, finely chopped
- Baby spinach leaves, plus extra leaves to garnish (optional)
- 30 g (1 oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- 30 g (1 oz) hazelnuts/walnuts/pecans/……, finely chopped
- Finely chopped parsley (Cor you got some choppin’ t’do!)
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Seasonings (It’ll take an amount)
- Your small food processor to save you doing all this chopping!
- Frying pan
- Oven dish
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/mk 4
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms. Put with shallots, garlic, courgette in the small processor and blitz.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the chopped mixture and cook for about 5-10 minutes, keeping it well stirred.
- Put the bread, nuts & parsley in the processor and blitz.
- Roll up half of the spinach leaves and shred them finely.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the shredded spinach, breadcrumbs, hazelnuts, parsley, and season to taste. Remember to leave it slightly under-salted as many people salt before they’ve tasted. I know, it’s annoying but it’s what we generally do in the UK.
- Put the mushroom caps, hollow side up, in a single layer in a lightly greased shallow ovenproof dish Spread a little butter in each cap.
- Heap some of the shallot and courgette mixture into each mushroom cap and firm it down into a dome.
- Generously sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese has melted. Serve two of them, warm, on a bed of wilted spinach leaves or on watercress or rocket or….